Tuesday, December 27, 2016

A beautiful and relaxing Christmas - looking forward to a positive New Year!

We had a lovely Christmas this year. In fact, it was the nicest Christmas we've had in a very long time. This year, there were no family deaths preceding, no mysterious or prolonged illnesses, no life-threatening symptoms yet to be diagnosed. It was a Christmas of beauty and quiet.

Chris was very excited about decorating this year. As Callie so accurately pointed out, "Someone's been looking at Pinterest." Of course, we also have our subscription to Country Living, so we get magazines full of beautiful interior ideas. And so, on the 17th, we decorated the house. I made a wreath for the kitchen and Chris found a perfect little pine branch to place over the door to the living room. Some primitive art ornaments and some birch bark snowflakes gave it the perfect touch and it has to be one of my favourite decorations. Of course, next year we will have to find another branch, as this little one won't last once we take it down as it has become very brittle. But what a lovely little touch it added.

Back in November, I found the perfect lighting source for the kitchen/diner. Back in the States, I always included some sort of lit tree for lighting in the dining room and I've wanted the same here. I found a beautiful grouping of pre-lit "birch trees" at John Lewis and knew that I had to get it for the dining area. Not just for Christmas (as it was listed as a Christmas decoration), but for the entire year. We placed the wreath that I decorated with white ornaments and pine cones behind it. It looks beautiful and I am so pleased to have found this grouping. I had plans to hang a bright red glass bead garland from the trees for Christmas, but, alas, Gracie made that impossible. Far too much temptation for our little girl. (It's bad enough that she is constantly taking the little pinecones out of the glass bowl in the living room!) For Christmas dinner, the table was set with my Spode Christmas Tree dinner set, Spode Christmas Tree placemats, cream napkins with holly napkin rings. The kitchen looked so festive and we were so happy to sit and spend time we each other and then with Callie and family in such a relaxing and beautiful setting.

Of course, the star of the show was our Christmas tree. We decided to carry the white theme through to the living room, and, for the first time since we've been back in Scotland, we decided to invest in some pretty ornaments. Before, we had bought plastic balls in plastic tubes, so hadn't really put any thought into the decorating of the tree. I have some ornaments from my parents' house, enough to give me that sense of family and wonderful Christmas memories. Chris found a wonderful tree "stand" that is a white-washing wicker basket sort of thing. It is amazing what you can find when you search the internet. We found a lovely one for a fraction of the price of those listed in the magazines. (The postman was getting a good workout delivering our pre-Christmas packages!) For next year's Christmas, I would like to add some additional strings of lights and some more silver glass bead garlands. But, overall, I must say that I think our tree is just beautiful. 

Living in northwest Scotland can bring challenges when it comes to the weather this time of year, and 2016 was no different. We were subjected to not one, but two, named storms (Barbara and Connor) that brought with them hail, sleet, and strong gale-force winds. We got through it with only one roof tile as a casualty. And, fortunately, the weather did not create a journey that was too difficult for Callie, Stuart, and Catherine.


This year, we decided to do the new "tradition" of the Christmas Eve box. I collected some pajamas, a chocolate robin, a panda cuddly toy (Catherine's favourite thing in the whole world), and some pencils and a sketch pad. We found a perfect little box, and I set about creating something really magical. Using my best lettering skills, I "addressed" the box to Catherine and then used a handmade stencil, spray glue, and glitter to create handprints of the elves who packed the box. I even had the elves sign the box ("Packed by: Twinkle, Snowflake, and Bell"). When the time came after dark on Christmas Eve, I executed my best dramatic gasp and asked if anyone else had heard the sound of our back door opening and closing. We sent Chris to investigate and he called for Catherine to come and see. Oh my goodness - the look of amazement on her face was the most wonderful thing in the world. And she proclaimed that she would never, ever throw out the box because it had the elves' handprints on it! (The picture here shows not only the box and Catherine, but Catherine's gappy mouth. She is missing the front four teeth on the top. How she managed to eat Christmas dinner is beyond me! But she did.)

It was a lovely Christmas full of laughter and smiles and hugs and love. And that's all Christmas ever needs to be. Just time with those we love. I couldn't have asked for a better Christmas.

And I am looking positively at the year ahead. There is little to nothing I can about the state of the world, other than making charitable contributions to help all those displaced by war and climate change. To become hardened and bitter would do me no good at all. After months of near depression about the state of American politics, I've decided to let it go. That doesn't mean I don't care or won't do all I can to make sure that the world continues to care for those in need and to be as inclusive as possible, it's just that I know my being brought down by it all serves no one. So, I am going to start the new year with a song in my heart and positivity abounding. My business is going to step up a notch in 2017, with my (hopefully) securing more stockists outside this immediate area. I am working at making designs using new techniques that I am enjoying very much. And Chris' health is better and I needn't feel quite so anxious about him. My year ahead will include a much-needed trip to Sussex in the late spring to visit Chris' mother and see his family. We shall practice that journey with shorter journeys between now and then, slowly increasing our time on the road to the time necessary to make comfortable and do-able journeys on our way south. And, also in May, a dear friend from the States will be visiting and I can't wait for that!


I'm going to be me again. I am going to be positive and happy and obnoxiously upbeat. And if you don't like it, well, I still think there are bright sides and silver linings to everything and nothing will convince me otherwise. And, of course, 2017 is going to bring our family the great blessing of a new baby. Callie had a scan done privately the week before Christmas and it revealed a perfect little one, wiggling about with visible legs and arms. A good strong heartbeat and so much movement has given us all cause to relax a little. Of course, we won't be completely relaxed until Callie is a little farther along (she is coming to the end of the first trimester now). But, hopefully come July, a new baby will join us. And we can't wait. 

So, this is the first of the many positive and happy posts that will follow. I will try to include more images of Scotland in the year to come, as well. And more posts about places we visit and people we meet as we get out and about a little more this year than we have for the past three years! Time to emerge from this lovely little house and get back to seeing more of this beautiful country. It's been years since we've been to Plockton and more than a year since our last visit to Skye. And the trip north along the coast is waiting for us, too.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is interesting to me and I wonder if you would consider putting a Follow by Email feature in your sidebar.
    I've been an Anglophile all my life, made many visits to Scotland, Ireland, and England. I'm curious how you came from America to live in Scotland. I'll look back through your posts and see if you have written about that.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete